Local Rescues Offer Opportunities to Help Pets in Need
Did you know that volunteering can increase your levels of oxytocin, serotonin, dopamine, and endorphins? Benefits can range from less stress and depression to better mind and body fitness. Plus, volunteering provides the opportunity to build your resume or life purpose. From hands-on experience fostering, transporting or assisting with adoption events to more fluid, at-home tasks, rescue organizations nearly always need an extra hand.
Looking to become a volunteer, but not sure how to get started? These local animal rescue organizations would be appreciative of your time and talent. And the pets themselves? They’ll benefit from your kind touch, social interaction and dedicated help to find them their forever home.
Fill those long summer days
Those with young children can check out The Good Dog Rescue who will accept volunteers under age 14 with a parent and those ages 14-17 with a parent for their first-time visit. Alternatively, consider helping your child to host a lemonade stand this summer and donate the profits to the rescue organization of your choice. You’ll be teaching a number of valuable lessons and skills while having fun!
- Almost Home Adoptions. Located in Westminster, Almost Home Adoptions for rescued cats is a no-kill, private 501c3 nonprofit, cage-free rescue and adoption center dedicated to finding loving, responsible homes for rescued, homeless, and abused animals. Must be 18+. Learn more.
- Animal Rescue of the Rockies. Working towards the day when every pet has a loving home. Colorado-based Animal Rescue of the Rockies pulls homeless dogs and cats from overcrowded shelters and places them in loving foster homes until forever homes are found.ring can increase your levels of oxytocin, serotonin, dopamine, and endorphins. Learn more.
- Evergreen Animal Protection League. The Evergreen Animal Protective League (EAPL) was organized in April, 1981 to aid lost, abandoned, and suffering animals through rescue, shelter, and education. Since that time, with the help of a League-run thrift store, they have provided a better life for thousands of cats, dogs, and other pets. Learn more.
- Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies. Based in Arvada, Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies (GRRR) is dedicated to the rescue, placement and public awareness to ensure that Golden Retrievers are adopted by people able to provide a safe, loving home. Must be 18+. Learn more.
- Safe Harbor Lab Rescue. Golden-based Safe Harbor has been in continuous operation since its founding in 2002. As of October 2021, they have rescued over 4300 Labs. The all-volunteer organization works with teams of volunteers dedicated to Lab intake, Medical Care, Foster Care, Transportation, Adoption, Website management and Social Media presence. Learn more.
- The Good Dog Rescue. Located in Westminster, this organization’s purpose is to save dogs from high kill shelters and place them into foster homes with our volunteers. Prior to adoption, all dogs will be vetted, spayed or neutered, and given the chance to adjust to a home environment. Volunteers under age 14 allowed with a parent. Learn more.